Re-Birth

I have been getting ready for this Summer's Comic-Con 2015, and I have been thinking a lot about the future.

This Comic-Con will be my 10th exhibition at the show.  I started in 2006 in Artist's Alley and a few years later, got lucky and side-stepped into Small Press.  If you don't know, the interesting thing about being a member of the Small Press Exhibitor's community at Comic-Con is that they require to publish something new every year.

So, if I want to continue going to the show as an exhibitor, I have to make something new.

In years past, this has often been difficult, with my visual effects career often getting in the way.  Especially, over the last few years as local visual effects https://filmschoolrejects.com/broken-projector-podcast-what-the-hell-is-happening-to-vfx-w-guest-jim-hillin-e8562873e32a/work in Los Angeles has gone from staffed positions that last for years or many months to freelance positions that are anywhere from a few weeks to a day.

My schedule has gotten more chaotic as a result.

But this year, I feel like I've turned a corner.  I have a few long-term projects that will be starting up later this year, and in the meantime, I take what little work I can find.  The great news is that I am beginning to have the time to create and work on some things that will further my career in a new direction, as a writer, director, creator, and artist.

The really fun part of this is that I believe this direction is who I have always been and now I'm getting the opportunity to pay attention to that and nurture it.  It feels good.

I've recently completed some of my best work ever as a screenwriter, and I have interest in that project from several producers already.  In the past year, I've written two television pilots; one, a drama and the other, a comedy.  I'm still working on those, but the experience is exciting.

I have just completed a second issue of my comic, "Zombie Bunnies" and I have some interest in that from a publisher already.  The new issue "The Mirror of Jeremy" will debut at Comic-Con on July 8th.
Yesterday, I added my first comic strip to Wireheads in four years!  I plan to do more on a semi-regular basis.  You know, the funny thing about that. While I was doing the strip regularly, I never received any feedback from my readers, and there were thousands of them, often checking every day. So, I got discouraged and stopped doing the strip. I had thought, "Why do this?  It's a lot of effort and no one cares!"

Over the last few years, I have heard (almost never directly still) that people loved the strip and wished it was still around.  I've seen friends recommend the books I've published to their friends because "it was a very good comic."

A little positive encouragement goes a long way with me. I'm an artist. I need my audience. Please let me know once in a while that you care. I'd love that.

Also, this year, I opened a new Square Store for Cypress Comix, my comic publishing company. I keep the store stocked and will gladly send anything overnight anywhere in the world.  Be assured Square is a good partner of ours, and we guarantee our stuff for quality and delivery.

http://www.wire-heads.com/portfolio/JimHillinPortfolio.html
I've also gotten back to my roots as an illustrator with several projects and have started documenting some of these things in an online portfolio.  Go there, look around, and let me know what you think.  See?  There's that artist encouragement thing again.

So, whaddya know?  A creative rebirth for Jimbo.

Glad to know it.

Cheers.

Comments